Today’s post is part of THE NEXT BIG THING, which is a chain of book and author recommendations. One author tags some others, who then each tag others. The idea is that we all help people learn about books that are just out or coming soon. Carol “Pixie” Brearley tagged me on her blog and now it’s my turn.
1. What is the working title of your next book?
2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
I was watching a TV show about paranormal events and the family in the story lived in the downstairs apartment of a house. I immediately wanted to write a story about someone moving into an apartment and hearing strange noises coming from an empty apartment upstairs. Though the isolation they’d be sure to feel was my jumping off point, the story evolved into much more than that as I wrote it.
3. What genre does your book fall under?
4. What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Hmmm… that’s a tough one. I think either Karen Gillan or Jayma Mays would do well playing Taliah. Rachel Weisz could make a good Sylvia.
5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
A young woman learns of her apartment’s twisted past and must fight evil in order to save a little girl’s spirit from an afterlife of torment.
6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
I’m still working on it, but it took about 27 days to write the first draft.
8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I’m not sure, but style-wise, it’s similar to Stephen King.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Without National Novel Writing Month, this book wouldn’t have been finished and maybe not even started.
10. What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
The book contains information on both ancient and modern “ghost cleansing” rituals and devices–some of which are quite odd.